Friday, June 7, 2013

Creative Friday




I turned the calendar page on my Downton Abbey calendar on Monday and discovered I had Creative Friday blog duty.  I thought, "Oh no!, I've been on creative overload these past few weeks and now it's time to pull it out again."  I had completed an album for a customer celebrating her son's elementary school graduation, made 48 favors and decorated for a tea party, made four books and brochures for my girls club at church and made a blank baby album for a shower.  I couldn't even think about being creative.  Then I pulled out my Distress paints and inks, Fancy Pants stencils, the 6x6 DIY Shop paper pad and started to play.

I'm Jenn Bidwell Edwardson and I'm a Tim Holtz/Ranger junkie.  I admit it, I love all things distress, and I love the Distress paints, inks, markers and stains Memory Works carries.  They are a fun way to add color to projects.  You can pretty much color anything with these supplies and they top the list of a few of my favorite things.

I had some divider cards from a photo box sitting out and grabbed them to create some tags.  Somewhere in the back of my brain I thought about turning them into pockets with little tags inside for cards.  I grabbed my craft mat and started dabbing different colors on the mat and then took my Perfect Pearls mist and spritzed it into the color.  I didn't even have to get out of my chair.  :)  I swiped the cards through to create some colorful backgrounds and went from there.


I did finally get out of my chair to pull out my Tattered Florals die and doily edge punch and used the DIY Shop papers to cut several layers of flowers.  I punched the edges of the flowers to create a doily effect and layered.  I took the stencils, scooped some white embossing paste onto my craft mat and mixed in a little Distress paint to add some color and smeared it over the stencil onto my backgrounds.  I may have stamped a bit first, or after, or both!  This Happy Birthday tag has the tab cut off.  I added some Distress ink on the sides and wherever I thought I needed color.  


I also colored the seam binding with the Distress paints as well.  After adding the color I scrunched it up and let it dry.  Stamps, die cuts and punches, and a few embellishments finished off this collection of tags and pockets.  The feather in the tag above was a gift from my friend Kim, and she deserves credit for it.  I did add some color to it though...



I find that playing with Distress paints, inks, markers and stains releases my creativity which is why I love them so much.  Play time sparks my creativity and now I can't wait for more scrapping time this weekend.  So, go ahead and play. 

                                                             

                                    Jenn



6 comments:

Lacey said...

stunning tags!!!

Stampin' Meg said...

Jenn- You had me at Downton Abbey!
I can't believe that you just whipped these up- they are fabulous!!!I love the lacey edge on your flowers- super pretty.

Cathie said...

Beautiful tags Jenn

Jody Spiegelhoff said...

These are so cool!! I love them embossing & inks & flowers you made!

Gia Lau said...

You kill me that you just whipped those out! They are gorgeous! You never cease to amaze Jenn!

Kelly said...

Beautiful tags...I'm lovin' all that texture!