Thursday, August 22, 2013

Cards & Tags Thursday

Happy Thursday Everyone! Today I'm going to share some Chalkboard ideas with you. The chalkboard look is very popular right now. I'm going to share a few different ways you can create with chalkboard.

NOTE: This is sort of a long post with some text explaining the use of the chalkboard products, if you don't like to read, just skip the instructions and look at the pictures.

Enjoy.

Chalkboard Contact Paper
I purchased mine on Amazon. This contact paper can be a great addition to scrapbook pages, cards and tags! Just check out my idea below.

Hello Tag: to achieve this look...
  1. I used my manual diecut machine to cut out the tag from the Contact Paper. 
  2. I than mounted this onto a piece of cardstock for stability. 
  3. I used the My Mind's Eye: Charm papers and embellishments (which I won from My Mind's Eye, hence why I already have them in my stash). 
  4. I hand wrote "hello" on the contact paper with chalk, as well as the scallop edge on the bottom of the tag. 
  5. To set the chalk (so it wouldn't smear), I used a workable Fixate. This allows the chalk to set on the tag and not smear (as bad), but gives me the freedom to still layer some more chalk around the edges, to give it a chalkboard look.
Products Used: My Mind's Eye - Charm (Paper, Enamel Dots, Label Stickers, Washi Tape, Brad, Bits & Pieces); Chalk, Chalkboard Contact Paper.

Card: You are Loved
I used the same technique as above for the card. As well as the same paper line by My Mind's Eye (Charm).


Products Used: My Mind's Eye - Charm (Paper, Chipboard Stickers, Decorative Stickers); Chalk, Chalkboard Contact Paper, Fiskars Border Punch.

Chalkboard Paint
There are many different kinds of chalkboard paint on the market, from spray paint to ceramic paint to bottled paint and even DIY chalkboard paint! Depending on your project, will depend on the type you choose to use.


Card
For this card I used Folk Art acrylic Chalkboard paint. I paired it with Crate Paper: DIY Shop theme set. To achieve this look:
  1. I brushed on paint using a foam brush (paint brush works as well). I let the first layer dry (I'm impatient and used my heat gun). 
  2. I than painted a 2nd layer over the 1st and again dried it with my heat gun.
  3. To achieve the notebook look, I drew lines with a white pen (the Tim Holtz Distress Marker should work as well, though I have not tested this) and a ruler. I spaced the lines about 0.25" apart. 
  4. I than drew a vertical line to give the notebook feeling. 
  5. Next, I embellished the card with various products from the Crate Paper: DIY Shop papers and other things I had in my stash. 
  6. I used a piece of chalk to finish off the card on the chalkboard paint to give it the chalkboard look, vs. just black paint on a card.
Products Used: Crate Paper - DIY Shop (theme set); Studio Calico - Yearbook (Die Cut Polaroids); FolkArt Acrylic Chalkboard Paint; American Crafts - Thickers (Gold Chipboard); Chalk; White Pen (could substitute Tim Holtz Distress Marker in Picket Fence); EK Sucess Notebook Border Punch; Washi Tape (Gold, Silver Stripe); Chalk; Prima Flower.

Here is another project I used Ceramic Chalk Paint on. This is not scrapbook, card or tag related, but just to give you an idea of what other things you can chalkboard. This is special ceramic paint. I used my Silhouette machine to cut out the shape (as a negative) and paint the area with chalkboard paint.
I gave a similar one as a gift to my wedding photographer and added a coffee shop gift card and some chalk tied with twine. I also created coasters for my sister in law and made of honor using the ceramic chalkboard paint and tile coasters (I forgot to take a picture of this before I gave them away).

Faux Chalkboard Elements
You can also simply buy some hot products on the market today to create with and use the chalkboard trend. MemoryWorks carries some of them already in the Trend Essentials area online. The Fancy Pants Chalk Tape (which is already out of stock, it was so hot I couldn't even get my hands on it!). I've also noticed that MemoryWorks will be carrying the new My Mind's Eye: Chalk Studio and Teresa Collins: Memorabilia, which both have chalk inspired papers and embellishments (note: product pictures pending on MemoryWorks site).



Teresa Collins: Memorabilia Chipboard | image from TC site


What are some of your Favorite Chalkboard techniques? Share them on our Facebook Page or right here in the comments section!



8 comments:

Jenn said...

Totally cool Lacey. Love the chalkboard trend and the new product we'll be carrying that features it.

Cathie said...

Love everything Lacey! I'm going to try this new trend!

Family Reflections said...

I love your ideas! I too am crazy about the trend. I've been using it on the base of glasses and around mugs, I have mini chalkboards hanging off my baskets as labels in my craft room and made a digital background for my daughters graduation invites and thank you cards!

Lacey said...

Thanks gals! It was fun to play around with. I should mention as well that there are sealers to set the chalk more permanently. You can find them in the "art supplies" section or sometimes near the spray paint at a craft store. To set the chalk. I've also read in the past that people use hair spray (aresol)

Amanda said...

Love it, Lacey! Thanks for the tips!

Jody Spiegelhoff said...

Super cool post Lacey!! I've Pinned some DIY chalkboard paints myself recently & adore this trend. I'll check out your Amazon link too :) Thanks for a great how to post!

Kelly said...

LOVING the chalkboard trend...awesome projects, Lacey!

Stampin' Meg said...

Very cool technique, Lacey!