Monday, April 12, 2010

Birthday Portfolio Album

Tired of the traditional album? Want a new twist on a mini? Try making this versatile portfolio album...you can make it in a variety of sizes and themes. You only need a few basic supplies and little bit of creativity!


Basic Supply List:

2 sheets of double sided cardstock
Fiskars scalloped circle punch
Fiskars Threading Water edge punch
Adhesive and pop dots
5 envelopes (envelope size will determine album size)

Supplies I used:

Pink Paislee 365 degree Theme Set and Die Cuts
Tim Holtz Sepia Distress Ink
Fiskars Wishes All Around Stamp Set
Cosmo Cricket Tiny Type
I designed my album around a small envelope (4" x 3 1/4")

Here we go!

Gather your supplies:
2 sheets double sided cardstock
5 envelopes



Measure for your album cover based on the envelope size.
You want to leave a larger gap above your portfolio.
I cut mine at 10" x 4 1/2".
Score at 2" and 6.5"



Set your envelope in the center and fold around
creating a matchbook style album...but not quite!

Cut a piece of your same cardstock at 2" x 4/5".
Edge using the Fiskars Threading Water Punch.




Adhere to right front inside album cover,
leaving the decorative edge sticking out as shown below.



Now we need a method to keep our album closed.
You could use a velcro closure, a magnet closure, or a band.
I chose to do a band to be able to embellish it, as this is a
birthday party album.

Making a band is easy...watch this.

Cut a strip of coordinating cardstock
to 3" x 10".
Fold around your album, making it snug, but loose enough
to be able to slide on and off.



Then embellish it!

Front of band...



and the back...



Now, let's get to work on the inside of the album...what fun this is!

Gather your envelopes and push all the flaps inside.


Apply adhesive to the flap side of the envelopes
and adhere them together (unlike sides together).
when you finish adhering all the envelopes together, center
them in your album leaving a larger space at the top.




Here's a top view...



Cute little pockets, now all they need are inserts!

Cut your insert to be 1/4" smaller than your envelope size.
Mine are 3 3/4" x 3 1/2".
I used paper that had a "natural" journaling site on the back!



Next we'll need to punch out our insert tabs.
I used the Fiskar's scalloped cirle punch coupled with
the Fiskars Wishes All Around Stamp Set.



Punch!



Stamp!



Attach!
(I used staples!)



Here's the inserts in your portfolio!
Add your pictures and journaling!

Now all you need to do is embellish your album!

Here's mine!



I had a great time making this project
and you will too!



8 comments:

Lacey said...

Great project Sue!! THanks for sharing

Tammy said...

That is awesome, Sue! I hope I can figure out how to do it on my own! It's the inside part, w/ the envelopes, I need to go back and reread a few times! I'm a "hands-on" learner! LOL Fabulous!

Sue Frazier said...

it's really easy. Just adhere your envelopes together, so long as you have a nice front one and pockets you are golden! I played with it a couple ways too until I got it how I wanted it. It was fun!

Christina said...

What a great project! I can't wait to make one!

Sandy said...

What a great idea - awesome project!

Anonymous said...

ADORABLE!!!

Unknown said...

Love it Thanks for sharing

Deb said...

Very cool project!