Friday, August 6, 2010

Introducing August's Guest Designer

It's my pleasure to introduce our guest designer Jennifer Camacho!


Here's a little bio on Jen:

Hello everyone! I am thrilled to be Memory Work's August Guest Designer. I joined Memory Works a few months ago and have been amazed & inspired by the creativity of my fellow Consultants. To be asked to showcase my work is truly an honor. I've been a scrapbooker for nine years and enjoy documenting the beautiful life I share with my husband and daughter. Scrapbooking has been a natural way for me to stay creative. I am drawn to the "little moments" I've captured and am compelled to document the stories and feelings behind my photos. In 2006, I started my custom scrapbooking business, Creative Corner Designs. Becoming a Consultant was the next natural step for me. I always toyed with the idea of becoming an consultant, but it wasn't until I discovered Memory Works that I decided to take the plunge! I immediately fell in love with the gorgeous products, the pressure-free vibe of the company & the support of the consultants on the Studio. Thanks for continuing to inspire me & for this amazing opportunity! --Jen

And here are some of her amazing creations:

The first is an altered Altoid tin.




Materials Used:
My Mind's Eye Little Miss Muffet Theme Set
AC Wide Double Sided Tape (1/2")
Petaloo Dazzlers
Zva Creative Flourish
Simple Stories Ribbon Bundle (pink)
Tools Used: Corner Rounder, Tim Holtz Sanding Grip, Edge Distresser


Tips from Jen:
I used my tin to trace a template for the top and bottom of the tin. After I cut out my pieces, I rounded the corners, and glued down my pattered paper piece on the top of the tin using double stick tape. Then, I trimmed off any excess and used my Sanding grip to smooth out the edges. I repeated this step for the bottom of the tin as well. The polka dot piece was ripped by hand (ripping towards me to expose white layer beneath) and then I used my Heidi Swapp edge distresser to really rough up the edges and give it a weathered, torn look. I wanted to do this to contrast with the dainty flourish and sparkly flowers. I kept the tin closed and lined the edge with the double sided tape, wrapping it completely around the tin. I started just beneath one of the hinges in the back of the tin and wrapped all the way around to the other hinge. Then, I cut a small piece of tape and inserted that in the area between the hinges. Next, I adhered the ribbon, always starting at the back and wrapping around the front, so the seam is in the back. Keeping the tin closed during this is crucial! This way, you will be able to open and close your tin easily after it is complete. I cut out two pieces for the interior of the tin, measuring 3 1/4" x 2 1/2", corner rounded them and glued them to the interior of the tin top and bottom. I like a little silver trim to be exposed, so I center these pieces and then glue.

Her next project is an 8x10 layout in a frame.



My mother-in-law passed away a year and a half ago and I came across this old photo of her and my husband and wanted to make this for him. I found a quote by Shakespeare that fit the sentiment of the photo, as they were boarding a plane to return home from Ecuador.



Materials Used:
Basic Grey Green at Heart Theme Set
Green at Heart Clips
Green at Heart Chip Sticker Shapes
Pop Up Glue Dots
Cosmo Cricket Tiny Type Stickers



Tip from Jen:
I adhered the chip dots down onto pattered paper scraps and then slowly began to tear in a circular motion around the dot. I used my edge distresser to give it the finished look I wanted and used pop up glue dots to elevate these slightly off the page for a little extra texture.

Check back next soon as we will be bringing you more inspirational ideas from Jen and the rest of our Creative Team!

4 comments:

Lacey said...

LOVE your projects!!! Congrats on being Aug. Guest Designer!

Family Reflections said...

Have fun this month... love your work!

敬周喜 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sandy said...

Beautiful work, Jennifer - thanks for sharing with u!