I love the look of primitive embroidery, "country" Americana...that kind of thing. So, when I recently decided to make a handmade gift for my grandparents' upcoming 65th anniversary, I decided to create wall art - a paper embroidery project using things I had in my stash of scrapbook supplies.
What is "paper embroidery" you ask? No, you don't need to be a sewing expert. All you need to learn is the "backstitch", use a pencil to draw or write your "pattern" or words on paper, punch holes, and start stitching!
Here's what I used for the project:
-Fancy Pants: Roadshow Theme Set (any themed patterned paper set would work, though!)
-DMC Floss: White and Black (available from any craft store). I used 3 strands for sewing on this project.
-Pencil
-Paper Piercer (MemoryWorks carries two that work great...here and here)
-Mousepad or something "squishy" you can use to poke holes into
-Glue Dots: Pop Up
-Adhesive tape
-Distress ink: Black Soot
-4 stacking heart-shaped templates (I used this, but you could easily cut using a cricut, or even handcut your own hand-drawn hearts for an even more "primitive" look)
-12x12 frame
To create your own:
-Select a background sheet of patterned or plain cardstock, and four coordinating patterned scraps for the hearts. MemoryWorks' theme sets all coordinate, which makes it super-easy! I love that the Fancy Pants: Roadshow line had a sheet (called Grocery List) with a pre-printed wooden frame. Perfect for the background!
-Cut hearts, ink edges.
-Use pencil to write "Joined in Love" and the anniversary date on the background sheet.
Write initials of married couple on the smallest heart. Write names of children, grandchildren, (even great grandchildren if you have room...I have a small family, so it worked for me) around the edge of the 3rd largest heart. I also drew a tiny heart between those names. Tip: When writing, keep in mind that you will be sewing on the words you write. Make it as clear as you can, but don't worry if it's not perfect. Or, print the words/letters using a font on your computer, then trace them onto your patterned paper where you want.
-Use paper piercer to pierce holes for embroidering the words. I embroidered using white floss on the black background paper and black floss on the white & colored patterned papers. I used a small amount of red floss for the tiny hearts. Tip: Use small strips of double-sided adhesive to help tack down the ends of the thread on the back of your paper after you finish sewing with a strand of thread. I leave the adhesive backing on, so it's only sticky on the side you stick down on the project
-Adhere stacked hearts together using pop dots for added dimension. I placed the dots every 2-3 inches all the way around and in the middle of the hearts. Adhere to background paper. Frame.
Now, hopefully I can keep the project a secret from my grandparents until I give it to them on their anniversary. In their mid-80's they're more computer savvy than I am, so chances are they may see this before I can give it to them...
Happy Scrappin'!
4 comments:
LOVE IT!!!!! What a great idea!!!! Well done!!
Darling! What a cute idea!
This is so freaking CUTE!
This is so sweet! I love the homespun look!
Post a Comment