Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Guest Designer Tuesday: Jenn's Rockin' Express Kit Projects


I loved the August Memory-Works Express kit.  We celebrate so many birthdays in June & July, I have lots of photos and memories to scrap.  I've made a few layouts, cards, and a great little box to store birthday cards in, and I still have some scraps to work with.  I loved playing with this kit.





I used the acrylic balloon to trace out a template for the balloons I made on these two pages.  I free-handed the cupcake and used my paper crimper to create the cupcake liner.  Some pen work made the little jimmies in the frosting.  I used Life Documented alphas to spell out birthday.  I love how the two lines coordinated so well.



Here I took my 12x12 paper and cut out a square at 10.5x10.5 to create an opening.  I then used a border punch and punched around the inside of the frame.  The corners didn't quite make it so they are covered with photos & embellishments.  I actually used this piece of paper as a test but when I layered it over the lighter blue paper I loved the monochromatic look.  I tried the same look with other papers in the kit and didn't like any as well as I did this combo, so my tester became my layout.  As you'll see, I used the piece I cut out throughout other projects in the kit.  Again, I cut the balloons and made the gift and the hat out of scraps, and used the stars from the sticker sheet.



The acrylic pieces were fun to play with.  I used alcohol inks to color this cupcake, added the candle sticker and some tiny silver pearls to pretty up the cupcake.  I hit the round alpha stickers in the middle with Glossy Accents to give them shine and dimension.  I went back again to the Life Documented alphas to finish up my title.



I decided to try this paper with a non-birthday related page and I like how this worked out.  By this time I'd run out of 12x12 paper from the kit so I pulled out a piece of MME limetwist to use as a background.  It looks great with the kit paper and brought in more blue.








A plain white cardboard school box from Michael's, MWE Happy Day kit papers & embellishments, my sewing machine and some glossy accents complete this project.  I used the Bday stamp for the side and balloon.  I am thinking that I will continue to use scraps to make birthday cards and pop them into this box and buy a sheet or two of postage stamps and give this to my mother-in-law for Christmas.  She'll have everything she needs to send cards out to family for the next year.


I used a Unity stamp from the set that goes with Jillibean Soup's Blossom line for the butterfly & sentiment.


I used the labels on the bottom of the paper and sticker sheet for "Happy Day" on this card and tag.  I also used Glossy Accents to jazz up the balloons.

In addition to the kit, I used one piece of 12x12 blue-green card stock, 12x12 piece of limetwist card stock, Life Documented alpha stickers, Unity Stamps, ink, Glossy Accents, Distress Stain, Sugar and Spice Twist, and various tools.  I hope you have as much fun playing with this kit as I did.

3 comments:

Susan Nichols said...

Love all of your projects!!

Lynn said...

great job! I love the card box! What a neat idea! You always have such happy family photos. tfs

Family Reflections said...

Loving all the projects! The card box is a great idea...Thanks for sharing...